|Total Records: 1|
|Lochgarry||British||Rathlin Island Co Antrim||1942|
|Lochgarry : Vulture , Lairdsrock|
|Owner||G.& J.Burns, Glasgow|
|Flag||British||Builder||Inglis Pointhouse, Glasgow|
|Tonnage nrt/grt||1670 / 929 / 727|
|Ship type||Steam Ship||Dimensions||265 | 33.6 | 15.9|
|Ships Role||Cargo / Passenger||Rigging Style||Schooner|
|Wreck Location||East side of Rue Point Rathlin Island Co Antrim|
|Date Lost||21/01/1942||Captain||Robert Robertson MacKechnie|
|Cause||Ran aground||Crew Lost||23|
|Position||55.15 N / 06.10 W||Passengers Lost|
|Google Map Location|
S.S.Lochgarry left Glasgow at 1 p.m. on the 20th January, 1942, for a voyage to Oban in ballast with a crew of 49 hands all told and one passenger.
She proceeded down the River Clyde with a pilot on board who was discharged at Ascog in Rothesay Bay. The weather which had been hazy coming down the River Clyde was now clearing a little, wind being S.E. × S. fresh breeze.
The master then shaped his courses according to Admiralty instructions. Shortly after the pilot left however, the weather worsened the wind increased to a moderate gale and the visibility becoming poor with squalls of snow and rain. Admiralty buoy D was sighted on the port bow and it was then found out the ship had been set 1 mile to the westward of her course. The log was streamed off Holy Island. Only a glimpse of Ailsa Craig light, which was shut in by a squall before a bearing could be taken, was seen.
The master on taking a departure from D buoy set a course for A buoy allowing 10 degrees leeway which was found to be too much as A buoy was made on the starboard bow instead of port. Ship was hauled to the westward to pass close to the buoy. A course was then set N50W magnetic to pass Mull of Kintyre 3½ miles distance the time being 10.15 p.m. and the log showing 29 miles. The wind was still S.E. × S. moderate gale with snow squalls.
The ship was kept at full speed and the master expected to sight the Mull of Kintyre light at about midnight. The log at midnight showed 48 miles. The light was not picked up and the ship struck the rocks at 12.45 a.m. which the master thought was the Mull of Kintyre, but which eventually turned out to be the Irish coast.
The master then ordered the engines to be put full speed astern and at 12.35 a.m. she refloated. The engines were then reduced to slow astern and her stern kept to wind and sea as it was discovered the collision bulkhead in the fore peak had gone. The master then gave orders for some members of the crew to go down No. 1 hatch and shore up the watertight bulkhead in that hold, whilst others were sent to get the two after lifeboats ready for abandoning ship.
The master then sent out a wireless S.O.S. for assistance, unfortunately, of course, giving his position as on the Mull of Kintyre; a reply was received from Portpatrick that a tug would be sent. Nothing however was seen of the tug.
At about 2.40 a.m. a lamp signal from the shore was seen flashing the letter U which reads you are running into danger. The master then turned his ship's bows on to the wind and sea to get off the land. The vessel began to make water rapidly and the master gave orders to abandon ship between 3 and 4 a.m.
The two after lifeboats were then got away, one in charge of the 1st and 2nd mates and one in charge of the 3rd mate.
The master and chief engineer stayed on board the ship until about 5.30 a.m. when they left in another lifeboat and landed on Rathlin Island at 6.30 a.m., where they found 25 others of the ship's company safe with 23 missing and who were subsequently found to have lost their lives.Nothing was seen of the ship afterwards.
REF : Board of Trade wreck report for Lochgarry 1942.
|Record Created on 01/12/2008|
|«« New Search|