Wrecks List
Total Records: 1
Name Nationality Location Date Lost
Verity   Canadian  Galway  1880 

Verity : 
Owner James G Ross, Quebec. 
Flag Canadian  Builder Guillaume Charland, Saint Joseph de Lévis, Quebec 
Port Quebec  Build Date 1877 
Official No 75669  Material Wood 
    Tonnage nrt/grt 1023 nrt / 1041 grt 
Ship type Sail Vessel  Dimensions 178.5 ft | 36.1 ft | 21.9 ft
Ships Role  General Cargo  Rigging Style Barque  
Super Structure
Wreck Location Aughrusbeg, Galway 
Date Lost 05/01/1880  Captain Coring, of Ardrossan 
Cause Wrecked  Crew Lost  
Position   Passengers Lost   
Google Map Location


Clifden, Wednesday.

The crew, consisting of fifteen men, all told, and three men working their way to America, belonging to the barque Verity, of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, of 1,020 tons burden, have landed at Stackport, ten miles from Clifden, where their vessel had become a total wreck.
The Verity, under the command of Captain Coring, of Ardrossan, left Waterford for New York on the 17th of December, without a cargo. She had on board twenty men, and had discharged a cargo of grain at Ferrybank, Waterford, and was proceeding to America for another cargo. Her crew consisted of Waterford and Beliast men and foreigners. After her start she had only two days' fair weather, but notwithstanding this the vessel made good progress but on the 30th of December, when over seven hundred miles from Ireland, a terrible hailstorm blew.
At half-past six o'clock in the morning all hands were ordered aloft, and were in the act of taking the main lower topsail when a heavy sea, accompanied by a fearful blast, came, carrying away the rigging. Two of the men fell into the sea and were drowned. Two of the sailors who fell on the deck were seriously hurt, and the carpenter's arm was broken, while the mate received an ugly cut upon the head. The two men who were lost were foreigners one a man named Meandrew, of Valparaiso, and the other Anthonio Gellin, of Sweden. Immediately after the accident the crew set to cut off the rigging which remained on the deck.
During the work a heavy sea prevailed, and the vessel began to leak. The captain, having no control over the vessel, tried to run her before the sea, but this entirely failed, and she drifted for six days. Sighting in her course two vessels, she signalled both, but to no avail. One of the vessels was supposed to be a White Star liner, and was sighted on the day after the rigging was destroyed.
On Sunday evening the sailors saw a light and came to the conclusion that it was Slyne Head. Having, as stated previously, no control over the vessel, the crew were ordered to the boats. Two boats were lowered, one carrying seven men and the other eleven. They took all their clothes with them, and the vessel was left derelict.
They were in the boats from half-past nine o'clock on Sunday morning until eleven o'clock on the following (Monday) morning, when they succeeded in landing at a place called Stackport, where they were surrounded by a number of the peasants, the majority of whom spoke Irish, and who accommodated them.
The vessel went ashore on the rocks outside the Head and soon split. On the arrival of the crew in Clifden they were taken good care of. The three passengers were young men of the peasant class who hid left Yellow Roads, Waterford, for America, owing to the depressed condition of the country.

Freeman's Journal (Dublin), Thursday, Jan. 8, 1880
Record Created on  
Search Wrecks
Ship Name

Date Range 30/12/2010
From To

Official Number